[RC] Rude Riders.. - Lucie Hess

Susan,  I want to clarify one of your points.  I was
one of the spotters who sat at major intersections
this weekend.  I was the only one who could go out on
Saturday, (we were VERY short handed in the volunteer
ranks on Saturday), so we did not have anyone that was
an "official spotter" except for me, and I was only
able to go to the first loop, which was in the dark,
as the ride was started at 3 am.   On the first loop
the riders  made  the 2 necessary turns that I was at.

I was part of the  spotter crew on Sunday, from the
conversations with the other  spotters, it appeared
that the riders in question were not seen off trail on
Sunday.

I don't believe that there were any "official
spotters" who saw these riders cutting trail on
Saturday, so it was very difficult to prove that trail
was cut, even tho' most people suspected that this
behavior had  happened on Saturday.  Therefore, the
ride manager's hands were tied on that issue.

I do know that the Ride Manager weighed her decision
carefully regarding the decision to not DQ these
riders, she also consulted Regional Directors in
attendance, other ride management peers,  etc...
So I have to support what ever decision she made, no
matter what ..

But one point I want to make...  our "little" rides
here in the Ozarks are like small backyard horse
shows, people come to the rides to  have FUN, relax
and enjoy the trails with their horses and friends.
There is a little friendly competition, but that's not
the reason folks are coming to our rides.

We have a strong "To finish is to win", ethic here and
we don't care about trying to beat a course record or
seeing how fast you can finish the course, just
because you can.

If you want to play the "I'm better than you game"
don't bother us here in our little neck of the woods.
We really don't need those types of riders to come and
run our ride managers off.

 Columbia, Missouri
 NATRC Region 6
 AERC # 65