[RC] Sued for speed - Nikki McCormack

Mary Ann said:

<<WE ALL HAVE TO MAKE A RISK ASSESSMENT AND MAKE OUR DECISIONS ABOUT WHAT TO
RISK THAT PARTICULAR DAY!!!!>>

I have to totally agree.  When you ride a horse, you take a risk.  We all share that risk.  You take the risk that your horse, no matter how well trained, might do something you did not expect because it has a mind of its own.  Why should someone moving along a trail at a trot be any more at fault for your horses reaction than a deer that jumps across the trail (this happened yesterday - very exciting) or a cyclist flying around a corner, or a bird jumping out of the brush.  It is still your horse and your risk.  I would be devastated to loose a horse this way, but I understand the risks I take.

That said, I do try to be courteous of others using the trail, but here in Northwest Washington, most of our trails are heavily wooded, so you cannot always know what is around the corner.  That certainly does not mean I am going to stop conditioning my horses.

This is a risky sport.  Anytime you are working with an animal that has a mind of its own, unexpected things can happen.  Sueing over it will only get us all kicked off the trails IMHO.

Nikki
AERC M33800 / PNER 3782 / NSS 44146