Re: [RC] Old Dominion Trail /Bosana Boots Questions - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Oh dear Paul,

  Speaking from being there twice last year, you will never see rocks like this anywhere.  I have ridden in the Ozarks where it was all flint rocks, and they were bad.  But this is worse.  You name it , they got it.  Loose rocks, big rocks, little rocks, stuck in the ground rocks, rolling rocks, smooth rocks, jagged rocks....got the picture?  But no bogs....so there is a bright side.  Percentage won't be that bad,  trail with rocks ( it all has rocks) but we are talking bad rocks, I'd guess about 65%.    Hard packed trail,.....about 45%  Remember that some of the "trail" is a rock strewn, hard packed logging road.

JMHO.....I wouldn't use boots, but invest in a very good farrier and shoe job.

Jody  (who is taking three ponies back to the OD 100)

Paul Sidio <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I keep hearing that the OD trail has lots of rocks.  For the 100 mile riders are there more rocks on the first parts of the trail or towards the end?  Are they slab rock boulders or sharp edged shale type?  How much gravel road or hard surface is there?

If you had to guess, what percentage of the trail has rocks? Is there much boggy trail?

We are considering using Bosana Boots on this ride.  Anybody use those?

Thanks
Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO

Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48517/*http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7 hot CTA = Join our Network Research Panel