Re: [RC] Brand near or off side, OT - Barbara McCrary

As far as I know, a brand must be registered with the state's dept. of agriculture.  A picture of the brand must be drawn and specified where the person wants to locate it.  Once registered, no one else may use that brand.  Your boarder needs to contact her state's dept. of agriculture and learn more about this.  Then she can specify what she wants to brand her horse with and the location.  The state will then contact her about whether anyone else has that one registered.  Once the brand is registered with her state, no one else may use it and any "livestock" she chooses to brand will always be hers.  If she ever wants to sell the horse, there must be a brand inspector come and authorize the sale and transfer.  There will be a periodic renewal fee to continue to register the brand.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 5:38 AM
Subject: [RC] Brand near or off side, OT

I don't know where else to ask but here.  One of my boarders wants to freeze brand her horse with her initials on the off side hip.  I've always branded mine on the near side.  I don't know if a horse is stolen and run through a sale if anyone looks for brands on the off side.  Any comments on this?  Thanks.

Amber