[RC] Maintaining weight - Spottedracer

From my discussions with Otis (head vet that I ALWAYS run to for advice) .. A horse conditioned for jump - is not neccessarily in condition for 50's. Your horse is probably not as accustomed to digging into it's fat reserves, nor storing enough Glycogen - for a long period of sustained exersize.  Even though his mind and heart are more than willing...You've got to cause the metabolism to change.

The best source of weight-giving calories is adding veg oil to the diet.. Once you've got his weight back up, get him in shape for 50's by adding 2-4 hour trotting trail rides once-a-week to his normal routine.. It will take time for his muscles to 'learn' to store more glycogen for those long rides.. But it will happen..

- LP