[RC] Recruiting riders - Lynn White

Title: Recruiting riders

Be careful on this one…I recruited a newbie on a ride once. We split the gas but it was still a huge hassle for me.  I was so bent on getting someone "INTO" endurance that I went around her schedule and assumed that she'd like this sport as much as I.   Her horse went berserk in my trailer and she turned out to be a psycho woman.  One of the worst endurance experiences I ever had.  She would not listen to my advice and ended up screaming at me over totally stupid things.  I'll be darn careful about recruiting anybody ever again.  Endurance is my outlet from life…if I have to save and cut something to make rides alone I'll do that unless I really know/trust the person.  Remember that you are stuck with this person and their horse for the weekend.  Make sure you can enjoy their company.  And make sure that you have an understanding of when you will be packing out of camp when the ride is over.  Don't load up a tired horse because someone got pulled early and wants to get home.

On the other side, I have "truck pooled". I pitched my backpacking tent.  It is amazing how little you really need.  I even managed to bring along my electric corral so my mare could be comfortable.   Anything is possible with the right planning and coordination.  If you really want to do this sport and have limited funds, you can find a way.