[RC] Shoes or Boots for GA mtns on normally barefoot horse? - Christina Schiro

My horse that I've had a little over 2 years has always been barefoot except for front shoes when we went to the Biltmore and at the Yellowhammer ride (and we had no problems with this minimal protection). We live in NW Florida Panhandle. A few months ago I bought two Easyboot bares for his front feet to have just in case I got somewhere and it was unexpectedly very rocky or if I knew it would rocky but didn't want the expense of putting on steel shoes.

I'm going to Fort Mountain State Park in NW Georgia in July and I hear it's a bit rocky and so I definetly want some sort of hoof protection on front feet. So should I put front shoes on or the EB Bares, or both? Originally I was thinking of using the EB bares, but then what happens if he looses one on the trail and I can't find it. Then I'm screwed for the rest of the trip. If I get him shod and he looses a shoe, I can put on an EB bare. Thoughts?

Christina