Re: [RC] Electrolytes - Sisu West Ranch

"...After decades of lectures from our doctors on how we should cut down on our salt intake or we will die..."

There are a couple of things wrong with this statement.

1. Horses are not even in the same genus as humans.  While all mammals share similar physiology, there are significant differences.

2. Lower sodium to prevent or treat high blood pressure has been overprescribed.  Some people are sodium sensitive and thus need to keep their intake down.  This is most prevalent in those whose ancestors came from sub-Saharan Africa.  Apparently, they lived on a high grain diet in a hot humid area so mutations that conserved sodium were favored even if they could cause high blood pressure late in life (read after all their children were born).  If I remember correctly there is research that shows that only a minority (25%, but don't quote me on that) of Caucasian people with high blood pressure actually benefit from reduction in Sodium intake.

3. When people are exercising hard, are in good physical shape etc. they are encouraged to consume more sodium (and other electrolytes) to prevent the same metabolic problems that our endurance horses have.

All of which does not say how much electrolytes should be given to a particular horse during or after a particular ride.  That apparently varies widely.  I own a horse who consistantly exhibited mild colic on Monday after a Saturday ride, until I started continuing his electrolytes from Sat evening through Tuesday evening.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875