RE: [RC] Percentage Body Weight - David LeBlanc

Kat said:

David LeBlanc said:

Maybe we could get Mike Maul or Truman to
do a quick and dirty 'study' and look at incidence
of lameness pull by distance and weight division
for a year or two - let's see what a big data set
has to say with lots of different rides factored in.

The AERC's data set contains no information with respect to the weight
of horses being ridden.  Consequently, if lameness is a function of
total weight carried (horse + rider weight), then there is no way to
glean this information from the AERC's data set.  Nor can it determine
if percentage of the horse's body weight carried has any effect on
lameness pulls (or any other outcome).

The AERC's data set actually contains very little information with
respect to rider weight either.  The weight division information is both
self-declared (so consequently of dubious accuracy) and even if declared
accurately only tells you of three minimums of rider weight (the
featherweight division has no minimum and none of the weight divisions
has a maximum).

All very true, which is why there is no such thing as a perfect study. It is
quick, and for the reasons you point out, dirty, and as cheap as writing a
SQL query - they don't get much cheaper.

It does overcome some of the flaws in the original study - huge dataset,
extreme variations in terrain, and the ability to look at different
distances. There's a good chance heavyweight riders are close to the magic
1200# number - all it takes is a 950# horse (pretty average for an Arab),
and 211# (plus) tack and rider takes you to 1160+.

One interpretation of the original study is that there is a high correlation
between lameness pulls on extremely difficult, downhill, point-to-point,
high pressure 100 mile rides. The findings may not hold for a loop ride, or
a flat ride, or a slower ride. So we can predict Tevis pulls - can we
predict anything else? You can also fairly well predict Tevis pulls by the
number of miles experience of the horse, too.

So it might be interesting to spend the $0.02 of computer time (if that) to
run the query, and see what it says. If you see higher pull rates for
lameness in HW riders overall, that's interesting. If it shows up in 50's
that's really interesting. It may show up. If it does, then maybe someone
would be interested in doing a bigger study that eliminates your objections
_and_ the sample skew.

One of the 'tests' we used when I was doing research was the "bloody
obvious" test - if your results seemed obvious, good chance they're right.
Makes sense that heavier horses wouldn't do as well at long, technical
rides. Also makes sense that heavier riders would have more problems in that
area. However, you did not see knights riding ponies, so that part doesn't
completely make sense, which brings me back to questioning sampling skew. I
don't think Tevis is a representative sample of even 100 mile rides, and
it's certainly very different than 50's or multidays.