Re: [RC] Frank's comments - Truman Prevatt

There are many variables - some listed below that impact the heart rate. However, I suspect that most horses that get into trouble get into trouble because of either/or dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. The body human or horse is an intricate machine fueled and controlled by biochemical processes. Some of which we are just starting to understand, e.g., the role and impact of the various receptors that are key to the control process of the various systems. We are just starting to understand the role many of these and understand their ability to actually process information for directing the processes at the cell level.

The heart rate is not a direct indicator to the status of these conditions, e.g. hydration but an indirect indicator. We have too many horses that finish with strong heart rates that are down to 48 in 15 minutes but yet need treated at 45 minutes. In the horses that have died of other than accidents over the past four years - has there been any consistent trend in the heart rate at the check prior to their crash? I suspect in most cases before such things as in a well conditioned horse becoming dehydrated shows up in the heart rate - it's probably already too late for the horse and he will need treatment. I also suspect the sensitivity of the heart rate varies greatly between horses. For example as Frank stated is a horse with a 40 resting rate and a pulse of 64 fine where as a horse with a 22 resting heart rate and a pulse of 60 may not be fine. It is a multiple of the resting rate that is key rather than a fixed number across the board? Do we know - I seriously doubt it.

In putting too much emphasis on heart rate - while important - we are in fact sending the message particularly to the new riders that the other factors are not as important if the heart rate is fine the horse is fine. That's a slippery slope for our horses I fear. I would be much happier if the emphasis was redirected toward better understanding hydration and how to better estimate dehydration levels than what seems to be the current emphasis on heart rate. While heart rate is a parameter heart rate recovery is probably more important. A horse at 68 recovering to 48 on a CRI is probably much better off than one at 52 and recovering to 60 on a CRI.

Ad Ed also pointed out - at some point there has to be a vet determine the quality of the heart beat but this again varies between horses.

I would suggest we direct our efforts to devise better methods of estimating hydration and stop fixating on heart rate. Granted heart rate is easy. We have machines that can take it today. It's a number we can write down. But is there an ordering involved in heart rates? Is my horse recovering to 60 after 10 minutes on a day where it is 45 degrees and 40% humidity better than him recovering to 64 in 15 minutes on the same trail a the same speed on a day where it is90 degrees and 75% humidity. Or is it better when a horse recovers to 60 in 10 minutes at 11:30 on a ride when the temp is 80 better than a when a horse takes 20 minutes to recover to 64 back who is a back of the packer that finishes at 4:00 in the heat of the day when it is 95? I am very skeptical that there is such an ordering associated with just the heart rate in the measure of the status of the horse.

Truman

Bruce Weary wrote:
My Friend Frank,
Dang, I hate to disagree with any fellow Nebraskan, but the heart rate, while only a component of the entire vet exam, is "party central" because of how it's integrated into the rest of the horse's (or human's) physiology. The heart is influenced by so many factors in the exercising horse. First, a reduced oxygen supply will increase heart rate. As does exercise. Adrenaline lights it up like a Christmas tree. Fatigue will cause the heart to beat more shallowly, weakly, and with less blood output, which influences other target tissues. Dehydration will have a similar effect, as will loss of electrloytes. Hypoglcemia will decrease the heart's ability to pump efficiently. Increased ambient or body temperature will cause increased heart rate as it tries to cool itself. Pain drives the heart rate up--from lameness, colic, gas, girth galls, bad saddle fit. Anemia will increase the heart rate.
Fitness and deconditioning have opposite effects on cardiac efficiency. Any one or a combination of these factors can be imposed on an endurance horse, and the first easily detectable sign is---an elevated heart rate. So I look at the heart rate as "a ticket to the dance." It's not meaningful until the causes are traced, good or bad. Not too many horses crash and burn without the heart rate having a sayso. Any Vets on this one? DrQ

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil