[RC] 30 min. PR and horse treatment - kenneth cook

I have been following this thread with some interest. Personally I think the 30 minute PR is a good thing, it does need to have some flexibility for the vets and ridemanagers as most of our rules do. But.... Lets put aside rider and management inconvenience for a moment. First, if a horse cannot make a 30 minute recovery, something is amiss, not conditioned, over-ridden ect. Numerous possibilities. But, I dont think this is a rule that will catch "most" of the horses that get in trouble. I dont see very many "crashes" that occur in that 30 minute time. Most of the problems seem to "appear" in the 1 - 2 hour time frame, after the horse has vetted thru. That is why most riders like to vet in as soon as possible. That way, if thier horse stiffens up or has later metabolic or lameness issues they have the "completion". If we truly want to purely protect the horse, we would require the 30 minute recovery, and have riders vet thu "at" 1 hour with a mandatory CRI. This is not without "issues" and may not be "convenient", it would require some flexability and adjusments. But purely looking at protecting the horse with a problem, I think more "issues" would be caught earlier and would be a better indicator of "fit to continue". The "majority" of horse I have seen "crash" have already reieved thier completion and passed all criteria. And the did so in the first 30 minutes. Food for thought......
Ken Cook
AERC West Region

Be a PS3 game guru.