Re: [RC] Hoof Boots :) - Lysane Cree

Good point Laney. I wasn't thinking of that when I first responded to Kyle.
You may need a smaller size initially (after you take off shoes and trim) but depending on the condition of your horse's hooves, you could end up needing a bigger size too. Just to add to the dilemma :)    Although there is always the option of selling your used boots when and if they no longer fit.

Since you trim a horse that will be barefoot differently than one that you are prepping the hoof for a shoe, so the hoof in that sense might be "smaller" when you pull the shoes and trim, but then over time as your horse's overall hoof condition improves you might see more heel expansion.

My mare had never had shoes, but had to go for longer periods than I liked between trims because of the farrier only coming by when there were lots of horses to do (I board), so she had white line separation and flared walls most of the time and was sore on gravel. Since I trim myself now, I can trim regularly and all four of her hooves have expanded in the heels. She'll always have smaller feet than she could have ideally,  but now they are the healthiest small feet she can have  - so her length all around the hoof is probably shorter than before but the overall circumference is better because of the expansion.

And by the way, Kyle, white hooves (Mae has 4) are just as capable of being barefoot as black hooves...just in case someone tries to tell you that old myth :)

Lysane

Laney Humphrey <laneyhh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Not necessarily. As Raven has found, her farrier think her horse's
hooves will get smaller once they are trimmed correctly. But then they
may well get larger again but in a healthier way.
Laney