[RC] [RC] Rule Change--Dr Q's Experiment - Bruce Weary DC - Dream Weaver

 I'm willing to have you all email me an indication of the time frame that your horse(s) recover in at the end of a ride, at least 80% of the time. Let's do it

Recover to what?  Some rides require 60 at the finish for all distances.  I always vet through at the finish as soon as I can so this wouldn't affect me unless I wanted to vet through right away and my horses pulse was at 62 at a ride with a 60 finish criteria, it would then be annoying to stand there wasting time rather than going and pulling tack at the trailer first and letting the horse eat a few bites and coming back heaven forbid I be 1 minute late for the check.  I think it could be a logistical pain for some rides and would be a rule that would have so many exceptions to it that it would make it pretty meaningless.  There are a few rides I've done in the last year where I vetted through as soon as I got back to camp, but getting there from the finish line did take most of a half an hour.

Of course I am basing this on not seeing very many horses die at the rides I attend regardless, especially after completing the full distance.  Most are more related to injuries or containment issues rather than how they have been ridden on the trail.

If a horse at 30 minutes is not recovering and showing signs of a problem, wouldn't that horse still be in trouble at 60 minutes?  Usually I've seen horses that get into trouble get that way an hour or two or more after finishing, and they have usually all passed their final vetcheck probably within a half an hour.  I've seen horses get treated later in the evening that won BC.  We should all remember that just because a horse completes the final exam that doesn't guarantee that the horse won't develop a problem later on.

Karen