[RC] coming changes in boots & going barefoot - Dream Weaver

If you guys that are having trouble using boots want to see a preview of what is coming, go to this link.  Click on the photo of Rocky's four white legs and you can have it enlarge and see the new buckles.  These are really going to be awesome.  They fold up, rather than down.  They have been tested on quite a few rides now for about 8 months, mostly multidays.  Dave Rabe used them at Death Valley.  I used Bares the whole time, and did 100 miles on each of my two horses -- did not vetwrap and both horses did two 50's each without any rubbing from the gaiters.  If you guys need help with your boots email me and ask.  If you've got a problem it's probably one that I've experienced and worked through.  I've got a blog that has a lot of useful tips on there, along with a lot of horse health care information, articles, quotes, videos and other horse related stuff.

This is my third ride season competing on horses that have no shoes nailed on their hooves.  I've been using boots successfully now on three different horses.  The first year I tried this Chief won the mileage championship, so yes you could say that using boots and keeping your horse barefoot can work.  The second year he did 900 miles the same way.  This year so far he has 100.  The other horses are also doing well (and the 3 of them did complete about 2000 miles last season this way), though it did take Rocky a lot longer but his feet aren't the greatest (but much better, and still improving).  It's more work and effort, but I feel it's been worth it for my horses and that's why I'm continuing to do it.  My husband is a certified farrier (just for my horses tho), so I knew going into it that if at any time something wasn't working out I could simply have shoes put back on.  I wouldn't keep doing something with one of my horses if it wasn't working.  You can look through some of the past posts in my blog and see photos of my horses hooves as they have changed during this process.  Karen