Re: [RC] [RC] Hoof Boots :) - Raven

Hi Kyle,

I have decided that this year...I am going to TRY to get Huginn going
barefoot. This is a BIG decision that I have been trying to make for
the last year.

I finally found a natural trimmer in my area...that sounds sane.
HAHA!!  They use Jamie Jackson and Pete Ramey principals.  Scott is a
member of AANHCP and is also a certified practitioner instructor.

Scott and his son Kyle came out to my place yesterday and did a
natural mustang trim on both Dixie and Huginn. Their hooves look
beautiful!

I also wanted to order some Easy Care boots for this summer, to use as
a backup in case Huginn got "ouchy" on some trails. Scott recommended
that I hold off on ordering boots until the next trim, as he believes
that he will be able to get Huginn's hooves a bit smaller (less
spreading...wide). Right now, Huginn is an 0, but Scott believes his
true hoof, may be closer to an 00.

Scott also said that Huginn has a great hoof, that should have no
problems going barefoot.  He wants me to of course bring in some
rock/gravel into my paddock so both ponies can start conditioning
their hooves over the rock.  My hubby Dan will pick some up next week,
after we get a load of hay. Scott would like me to start hand walking
Huginn on the gravel shoulder on my road, slowly working the hooves
and to listen to what Huginn tells me....in regard to how his hooves
are feeling. Same thing for Dixie.

Guys...this is a BIG step for me!! I am excited about making the
change but also a bit scared.  I just want to make sure that I can
continued to ride Huginn as much as I normally do and in the terrain
that I normally do. Scott and Kyle believe that with the help of
boots, I will have no problems ...barefooting.   We'll keep you updated.

Raven
Lucy & Molly, the Girl Doggies
Huginn, the American Ice Pony
Dixie Chick, the Mini Barn Goddess