RE: [RC] Rule Change-Who is it for? - Jim Holland

EXACTLY! What ever action AERC takes on horse welfare should be a result of
"TRACKING" to determine what rules should be enacted AND once a rule has
been enacted, CONTINUE to track to find out if it's effective in solving
whatever problem the rule addressed! DUH!

I am sure most of us would go out of our way to put up with a lot of "crap"
if there were some conclusive statistics that proved the "crap" would be in
the best interests of our horses.

I haven't seen any HWC Fatality Reports for 2006. I'm curious....can anybody
give us the number of fatalities in 2006 and a one word description of the
cause?

The Horse Fatality Reports AND the HWC have been in existence for 3 years.
(2006 being the 3rd year)  It's not a large database and 3 rats is probably
too small for any objective conclusions, but it would be interesting to know
if we are going in the right direction with regard to fatalities from
metabolic causes. (i.e. colic, etc)

From the AERC website:

In 2004, there were 6 fatalities, 2 were metabolic related.
In 2005, there were 8 fatalities, 5 were metabolic related.
In 2006, ?????

It's too bad that AERC didn't bother to keep this statistic until the
membership got on their case in 2003. If they had, we might now have some
meaningful data.

In addition, how many metabolic pulls (including Rider Option - Metabolic)
were there in all of AERC for each of those years?  Is THAT number headed in
the right direction?

Mike, Truman, Bob....can you database gurus fill in the blanks here?

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm
175 Hells Hollow Drive