RE: Fw: [RC] Rule change, who is it for? - heidi

What I meant by
leaving earlier is that as it is now, most of those horses that are taking
more time to recover are at least staying to get vetted out. If these
riders are on horses not able to recover in the 1/2 hour time frame, more
than likely they are not going to stick around just to be disqualified.
They will just leave. At least with the hour time frame, they have a better
chance of recovering, seeing the vet and getting a completion. I am not
saying that is the best scenerio, but it is certainly better for the horse
to be looked at by a vet before taking off.

OK, thanks for clarifying--at least now I follow your thought process here.

I would submit that these horses are not apt to leave when they are being
actively looked after by a vet who is concerned that they have not recovered
yet.  Although there is no rule that says that horses cannot leave until
released by the vets, most of us try to follow the non-recoverers and keep up a
dialog with the riders until we feel it is safe for the horse to travel.  Do
riders always comply?  No.  But at least when they don't, we are usually aware
of it.

And while certainly the novice rider that doesn't know any better may get
caught up in the non-recovery out of simply not knowing any better, hopefully
the lack of a completion will be a learning experience so that he will avoid
doing the same thing the next time he comes to a ride.  On the other hand,
rewarding that rider with a completion doesn't provide much of a learning
curve, even if the vets are eloquent.

Heidi