Fw: [RC] Rule change, who is it for? - oddfarm

----- Original Message ----- From: "oddfarm" <jsalas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 3:24 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Rule change, who is it for?

I like to watch and observe. Some of the people who do ride too hard are usually not yearly members. They come, ride and leave. What I meant by leaving earlier is that as it is now, most of those horses that are taking more time to recover are at least staying to get vetted out. If these riders are on horses not able to recover in the 1/2 hour time frame, more than likely they are not going to stick around just to be disqualified. They will just leave. At least with the hour time frame, they have a better chance of recovering, seeing the vet and getting a completion. I am not saying that is the best scenerio, but it is certainly better for the horse to be looked at by a vet before taking off.

I am not referring to people like you Heidi who knows what they are doing. And I am not saying the sky is falling and hundreds of horses are going home to die after a ride. Being a turtle finisher more than once, I can say I have come into ridecamp and half the trailers are gone. That's fine as along as all was well. But I have seen the riders who only care if they are in the top ten and if they don't get in that top ten, they are outta there. I would rather see them take the extra time to see the vet before they leave, than to take off just because they didn't make the top ten. That also gives the vets an opportunity to say to these riders, "Your horse looks really tired, sore or just plain worn out, can you come back in see me in another hour or so before you leave?" That would also give the vet a chance to make sure the horse has eaten, had something to drink and has been able to wee or poo.

That to me, is what horse welfare is.

Lisa Salas, Teh odd Farm

----- Original Message ----- From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>