[RC] Rule change, who is it for? - oddfarm

One of the reasons why you don't see the "hell bent on racing no matter what" riders being treated is because they pack up and leave ASAP. How do you know they survive?

Dr. Q.
You say, "the hell-bent, rein-slappin', fire-breathin', win-at-all cost,
kill my horse tryin' rider isn't showing up".

But that is exactly the reason given for changing the rule.

Laura writes, "This rule change would affect horses who may be asked to "race" the last leg of a 50- to 100-mile ride with the thought that they have a full hour to recover to pulse criteria. This thought allows for more speed when horses are most vulnerable to injury due to fatigue. It would also affect those horses whose level of fitness is not adequate for the job they are being asked to perform."

Doesn't that cover the win at all cost riders?

I am not convinced that this is really going to improve the welfare of the horse. They will just be able to leave earlier.