[RC] - g brass

"2) The flaw is that while recovery times ARE an indication of trouble, they are ALSO an indication of other things, like newness to the sport, excitement at "losing" one's buddy, exposure to a multitude of other excited horses, a mare in heat, etc. The penalty would be imposed on ALL the horses that failed to recover in 15 minutes, regardless of the reason."

Since the RPR philosophy embraces stratification of intent on the part of the rider, and proposes more definite methods of determining "eliteness" in endurance horses, possible psychological elevation of heartrate and recovery times seems to be included.

"We are not trying to validate this horse as a cozy companion, an all-around athlete or for his obedience; we?re trying to establish the quality of his endurance capacity, of his enduring, whether it is at an elite, acceptable or unacceptable level."

I do find it interesting that Matthew Mackay-Smith considered RPR to be important enough to say "the Cardiac Recovery Index, for example, can be the second arrow in the ride control quiver along with evaluation of the entire clinical picture presented by every horse"