Re: [RC] A Horse Welfare Story - Ruth Bourgeois

Thanks for sharing the horse rescue story. I really appreciate and commend everyone who takes the time to save a horse in need.
I moved to New Mexico in 2000. One of my biggest goals and desires was to do endurance rides. Since coming here, I've not made it to a single ride. I do lots of trail riding, but my focus has been on organizing a horse rescue/sanctuary here in the Taos area. I've done my share of rescues, and am continually working on doing more. My organization, ESS, got 501(c)(3) approval last fall. This year's goal is to find a place to have an actual facility and raise funds to pay for it. In the meantime, the rescues end up at my place or neighbors' pastures, which limits what we can do.
If you're interested in seeing some of the before/after stories of our rescues, go to our website: www.equinespiritsanctuary.org. I try to keep it up to date with what the group is doing.
I someday hope to do endurance rides, which is why I still read ridecamp emails. I'm still an avid trail rider. But right now my focus is on the horse rescue. It takes its own kind of endurance, but the rewards are great. When I save a horse and see it back to health and a good quality of life, it's like the motto "to finish is to win." It's a great feeling!