Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] re: elytes and "the French team"

On Death Valley ride in 2000, Lud and I arrived at a VC, 35 miles into the ride.  Lud had a horse that was a very poor drinker, and we thought E-lyting him would solve the problem.  It didn't on that day; as soon as I gave him a dose of E-lytes, he started thumping, then went into colic, and had to be treated with a lot of fluids IV.  That particular horse was trouble-prone because he wouldn't drink enough water.  Lud finally sold him for a pleasure horse and he's still alive and kicking and making a teenage girl very happy.
I probably won't ever E-lyte a horse again.  Of course, I E-lyted my horse, too, but he was a good drinker, so nothing happened to him.

Barbara