[RC] 30 minute rule - k s swigart

Kim Fuess said:

If we believe that "fit to continue" is meeting criteria within
1/2 hour at every vet check it seems that meeting criteria
in 60 minutes at the finish is a completely different definition
of what is "fit to continue". To me, it is so silly that you can
have a vet check 1 mile from the finish line and the horse
must meet criteria in 1/2 hour and then after going only one
more mile that same horse has an hour to meet criteria.
Ideally, I feel that the vet check criteria and finish line criteria
should be the same. But some changes at the ride management
level need to be in place to make this work well if it is put in
place.

The problem I see is not only that there is added hassle to the
rider (which there will be at many rides and for many riders) but
that ride management will have to set up the finish line and final
vetting area just like they do at a vet check.

If the intent is to make it so the rules at the finish check and the
rules at the internal vet checks are the same, then it is only the pulse
criteria that will need to be met by 1/2 hour, which can be checked by
regular P&R people, so you don't need a "vetting area."

At the internal vet checks, it is only the pulse criteria that must be
met within 30 minutes of arriving at a vet check.  For the veterinary
examiniation portion of the vet check, riders may take as long as they
damned well please to see the vet. As far as I know, it is only FEI
rides that require you to go straight from the pulse check to the
vet--and, in fact, SOME ride vets require riders to wait at least 30
minutes AFTER meeting criteria to vet their horses.  There definitely is
no AERC rule about it.

So, if I want to, I can arrive at a vet check, meet criteria within the
required 30 minutes and then wait two hours before presenting my horse
to the vet at the vet check.  There is no AERC rule against this, and I
have never been to any AERC ride that had a rule against this.

So, if it is consistency with the rules for vet checks being applied at
the finish line, then the location of the final vet check need not be
changed, they just need to have P&R people at/near the finish line (like
they do for the LD rides), the vets can remain in camp where they have
always been.

However, if it is consistency with respect to the "fit to continue"
rules for vet checks that is being strived for, then, if the idea is to
change to the "30 minutes to meet criteria" at the finish, then they
also need to change it so riders can take as much time as they damned
well please to present for the rest of the final vet check.

Personally, I would prefer that they keep it the way it is and require
riders to present their horses for their final checks within one hour
for the entire check.  It is more likely to ensure the welfare of horses
being over-ridden between the last check and the finish line, and it is
logistically much easier for ride management no matter what the layout
of their finish line with respect to the location of the vet check in
base camp.

If the motivation for the new rule to require riders do their entire
completion check within 30 minutes of finishing is something other than
consistency with the principle of "fit to continue" as it is applied at
vet checks during the ride, then the real motivation needs to be stated.
Consistency isn't a good enough, since what is being proposed is NOT
consistent with the requirements at vet checks during the ride.

kat
Orange County, Calif.