[RC] 30 vs 60 Min Rule - heidi larson

Bruce Weary <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If a
horse is pulled at a vet check for not recovering in 30 minutes (and
deemed unfit to continue), why the need to ignore his fatigue and allow
twice the recovery time, solely because now it is related to a
completion at the finish line? The completion is lost whether he is
pulled out on the trail or at the finish line, using the exact same
recovery criteria.

Ahh, but there is a difference, one never races in to a vet check, you generally get off and walk in, loosen girth, pour water on your horse, offer grass along the side of the trail, etc.  Now, I don't argue against the 30 min. because I have a horse that is slow to pulse down, he's generally down to 48 when we use the above method for arriving at vet checks and even on a race in, (I've never really raced in, but have cantered across the finish line just for the fun of it) and my horse is still down as soon as he gets a chance to eat and drink, if we walk or trot in he's usually down already.   HOWEVER, the distances from finish line to vet line and number of riders in the distances and riders in vet lines and time in that 60 min. has been just enough at times.  I also want my horse to be able to eat and drink and finally be able to relax somewhat after a long or tough ride.  It's his reward for a ride well done.  At Dust Devil this year we cantered in, he went right to the water and tanked, then started chowing (had just finished a 75) since our time was crossing and we had 60 min. I allowed him to eat and drink for 10 min. or so, asked for a pulse and he was under 60, pulled tack (my trailer and vet check are at the other end of camp, a good 15 min. walk and remember, I've got a hungry, thirsty horse who wants to stop at every water and have a sip, is looking frantically for hay (I brought a flake but it's falling on the ground, wind is blowing, trying to keep horse blanketed, etc.)  not nearly enough food for him right now thank you.  Get to vet check and there's a line of people showing for BC (that takes up one vets total time) plus there was one treatment going on, IV's and the such, 50's finishing, and with only 2 other vets, if I'd have had 30 min. to show, my time is really getting crunched now, I maybe have 5-10 min. to get through the lines and see the vet and try to keep my horse eating and warm during that time.  If I had a crew, that would probably be possible, but I don't have a crew, it's usually just me, unless someone offers to help (hold my horse while I finally get to pee, for ex.)  A couple other large rides at the finish, I've seen up to 25 horses waiting in line for completions, BC judging, etc. and it may take 30 min. just to get through that line. That doesn't seem fair to the horses that need the extra food and water that they want at the finish.

heidi larson and Kalasha