Re: [RC] Nipping/Biting Horse - Milroy Grosse

It seems to me that in the original post the horse was definitely not showing affection and was showing aggression.  I think the advice about making sure he is not in pain is great.  Especially since it seems to be escalating recently.

Also, body blocks (I think one poster mentioned this) are great.  If you can get a Parelli book or something, he teaches alot of these.  Maybe, if you are blocking with your elbow, get some of those hard shelled elbow pads so he won't hurt you but it will give him a good knock to the sensitive muzzle.

My horse sometimes "mugs" me for treats if he thinks I have something.  I do hand feed him but he never gets a treat until he gets out of my space and stops being pushy....(ie, when I say he can have a treat).  When he lips me at in appropriate times (like when I am getting ready to pick his feet or something) a VERY VERY quick (and not too hard) pinch on the lip really surprises him.  Similar to the "bite him back" advice.  But my guy is not being aggressive, he is just playing the brat.  So judge how aggressive you can be with your guy, you don't want one problem to transfer to a different one.  Some horses you can growl and back and "pinch" until the cows come home and they don't care, others you look at them cross eyed and they fall apart.  Just like people.

Good luck.  You will be fine.  My guy had so many bad habits I thought I would never correct them but making him "be good" everytime with no exceptions was done wonders for him.  And once they start to catch on the learning curve is very steep.

Amber Roberts <Amber@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just started to scratch, rub and sort of massage his lips and muzzle,... He is an over-all incredibly loving, gentle horse,

Evelyn, most of what you said also pertains to my horse.  My horse is extremely affectionate and loyal.  He will leave his feed to be with me.  I've never had one act like that before.  I do think his lipping is his way of showing misplaced affection.  My solution was to rub his muzzle.  Works with him.  I guess each person has to figure which method works for their particular horse.

Amber

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!