Re: [RC] Sarcoids - Dyane Smith

Hi, Lynette

I've had experience with one sarcoid on two different horses.  The first
horse had the sarcoid on his sheath.  We watched and waited for a year or
so.  One day, the vet looked at it and decided it had grown and recommended
that it be removed.  I started with cryosurgery but it grew back.  I then
tried injections of ribogen (?) with no particular success although the
sarcoid did not grow or change in anyway for a year or two.  Finally, it
started looking inflamed and the vet cut it off and sent it to a pathology
lab, where they confirmed that the entire sarcoid had been removed.  It's
never come back.

I took the second horse to an oncologist at U.C. Davis (the horse was there
anyway for a different problem).  That sarcoid was in his ear and was not
really attached to the underlying tissues.  They removed it (maybe with
laser surgery) and it healed uneventfully, never giving him any problems.

For the second horse, a different vet had recommended a cream that burns the
sarcoid off, but I did not think that would have worked for me because of
the location of the sarcoid.  Also, I never found the cream and
unfortunately don't remember the name of the cream.

I have heard of horses with multiple sarcoids needing more intensive
treatment.  If you can get your horse to a vet school, my guess is that you
would get the most bang for your buck.  The problem with the sarcoids in the
groin area is that there isn't a lot of tissue if you need to remove them
because they are irritated by the movement of the horse.

Dyane

Lynette Hulbert wrote: "Anyone have experience with sarcoids?  Treat,
remove or leave them
alone? One on chest is raised and about 2" round. Couple on groin area. "