Re: [RC] re: when are you an endurance horse - Keith Kibler

I would say it depends upon your audience. First of all, the notion that LD is not endurance is a concept that would be limited to only a very narrow group. However, that group might be the very group of your audience. We raise, breed and sell gaited horses and in that world, LD would definately be considered "endurance".
That being said, I keep pretty accurate records of all our rides as far as mileage is concerned no matter what type of training I am doing. I record all those rides on a riding calender so that I or a potentional buyer will know how much a particular horse has been riden. I am left confused by ads that say "30 day training on this colt "etc.
Tell me that the horse has been ridden 40 times in the forest and what the rides where and how he did and I or anyone else will know more about the horse.
Wrist mounted GPS with the newest chip are very handy. (plus if you use Google eartch plus at 15$ per year, you can upload all your rides onto maps and print them off AND study your data if you so choose.)
Just be honest
my 2 cents

Keith
Shawnee Sunrise Farm
Marion IL

Cindy Collins wrote:

Actually, most of us loosely call our "up and coming" horses our endurance horse, but I feel it's very different if you are advertising horses for sale or as breeding stock. At a minimum, I wouldn't expect a horse to be advertised as an "endurance horse" unless he/she had successfully completed several 50 mile rides. I would not count LD if I were looking for a proven endurance horse since I don't consider LD to be endurance. If I were paying much extra money to have a "proven" endurance horse I'd expect more, probably at least one 100 mile completion. I'm sure you'll get many different opinions on this. I know that when someone says they are selling "an endurance horse" or that their blood stock is "endurance," the first thing I do is go online and look up their record.

Cindy Collins c_collins@xxxxxxx <mailto:c_collins@xxxxxxx>