Re: [RC] Horse Manure and Weeds - Linda Mirams

To get an idea of how USFS researchers and planners view horses
on public land, wilderness in particular, see:
<a
href="http://www.vic.com/~lbm/USFS_Proceedings_v15_2000_McClaran_LiveStock.pdf
">http://www.vic.com/~lbm/USFS_Proceedings_v15_2000_McClaran_LiveStock.pdf</a>
.

Yes, it is long.  Yes, it is dense.  But if you're going up against
professionals, this is the level at which your opponents are playing
the game.  Are you up to it?

Notice the repeated references to horses spreading invasives.
Note the repeated references to one particular paper: "Cole and Hall, 1992."
which expands to:

 Cole, D. N; Hall, T.eE. 1992.  Trends in campsite condition:
 Eagle Cap Wilderness, Bob Marshall Wilderness, and Grand Canyon
 National Park.  Ogden Utah:  US. Department of Agriculture, Forest
 Service.  Intermountain Forest and Range Experiment Station.
 Research Paper  INT-453.  40 p.

in the citations at the back of the paper.  Many of the more recent papers
referred to are available online.

The Forest and Range Experiment Station in Ogden Utah where both Cole and
McClaran work (Cole may have moved) is a hot-bed of anti-horse
sentiment that spreads to the rest of the USFS, other federal land
management agencies, and then through to state agencies.

Note that most of the debate actually centers around environmentalists
who want to stop cattle grazing concessions on public lands, most
particularly wilderness areas.  We're sort of a sideshow.

There have been serveral additional important changes since EO13112 in 1999.

-  In 2004, Congress passed Public Law No: 108-412, the Noxious Weed
  Control and Eradication Act.  This was much watered down from the
  original version, which people feared could easily become a
  second Endangered Species Act, with its broad sweeping prohibitions.
  The version passed does, however, provide money for research and
  developing control and mitigation plans.  One can guess what the
  research is going to try to prove vis-a-vis horses and cattle,
  and we're feeling the effects of these control and mitigation
  plans.

-  The USFS now has a long-range plan to control and mitigate
  invasives.  Sorry, I havn't read it and I don't know what it
  says about horses.

Linda Mirams