[RC] AERC as a "2nd rate" organization - Bruce Weary DC

Bob---
For as long as I can remember during my two decades as an endurance rider, AERC and the rides it sanctions have provided me with the following: Increasingly qualified vets, a marked trail, accurate tracking of points and mileage accumulation, a complete and evolving set of governing rules, research on the physiology and welfare of the horse, the HWC committee, rules against the abuse of drugs in our sport, national and international influence in our sport and the care of our horses, directors who will listen to our concerns, life-saving measures for my horse, access to remote and beautiful country on horseback, annual awards, a fine monthly endurance magazine, an opportunity to spend hours with my kids without TV or other distractions, and the list goes on ad nauseum. The work is virtually all done by volunteers who support the sport as riders themselves. Bob, you were a part of that for many years. Not a bad performance record for a "2nd rate organization" as you put it. Anyone out there getting more than this from some other volunteer organization for your $75 per year?
This is a *riding* organization, and Bob, I noticed it has been nearly a decade since you graced the endurance trail. Maybe many of us can happily work on the problems that face us and resist the temptation to condemn the entire organization in order to express dissatisfaction over certain items that don't meet out liking, because of the benefits we gain from participating in the very focus of AERC: endurance rides. If all I did was focus on the problems of AERC and never get to a ride, I'm sure it would influence my outlook and perspective. And not in a good way. Our collective membership is not aware of what each individual member is doing to move AERC forward. So it may seem at times that nothing is being done. But, that is never true. Let's just keep moving forward. Dr Q