Re: [RC] A Thought for today and the future - Truman Prevatt

It won't. In 1945 the die was cast and it has little to do with taxes. FDR recognized to power the economy of the US and to insure national security we needed more oil than we could produce. He cut a deal with King Al-Saud and Saudi Arabia became a strategic ally. That has remained in place since then through a president from Missouri who had no interest in oil, a president from Kansas that had no vested interest in oil, etc., presidents of both parties. This dependence on middle eastern oil has shaped our foreign policy for the past 50 years.

The mistake we made as a country was when Eisenhower canceled the large R&D effort the AEC was funding in fusion. Fusion is clean. Where nuclear fission takes heavy metals and breaks them apart to release energy - producing nasty heavy metal biproducts (what we call nuclear waste today), fusion takes light elements, forces them together to produce another light element and releasing energy. Fusion is all around us - it is why the sun shines.

A Fusion reactor would produce energy and at the same time not produce nuclear waste. In the mid 50's with gas at 12 to 15 cents a gallon - oil was king. A fusion reactor requires the money only the US government can put into something. We stopped in the mid 50's. We would have been a lot better of if we had not. Lack of vision and lack of leadership in the era of Ozzie and Harriet got us to where we are today.

Truman

heidi larson wrote:
I doubt it will matter who is President, there are just too
many tax dollars coming in from oil. Who will fix and
build roads without oil tax dollars? My VERY liberal
husband can't figure out where we'll get our tax money that
is currently received from oil - maybe the internet tax? (His thought.) Tax $$ from the former transportation fuel
and replace with tax $$ from the communication
superhighway? It's about the only thing not taxed and has
the potential for alot of revenue. Not that I want to see
it taxed, but where will be get the money when oil is gone?
That's why there is a look at biodiesel, hydrogen, etc. THEY can be taxed, it's much harder to tax electric cars!

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics