[RC] [RC] Cowboy Magic -vs-Xtreme Silky shine & detangler - Patti

From: "geckogal85@xxxxxxxxx " <geckogal85@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Cowboy Magic -vs-Xtreme Silky shine & detangler

Hello all
I am trying to cut costs wherever possible. I love cowboy magic but have heard rave reviews about xtreme silky shine and detangler. What do you guys use? Is there something out there that I do not know about that is better and cheaper? Any suggestions are appreciated. I like my horses to look good on the trail

What works with mine is to feed some natural beta carotene. Hay that's been wintered over has lost most of it's beta carotene (vitamin A precursor). When I notice hair coats, manes and tails getting "dry" or scurfy looking and not brushing easily, I start adding beta carotene capsules - in about two weeks they are almost "self grooming" - at least a lot easier to comb out. The new NRC suggests 18,000 IU vit A/day for a "typical" horse; Kentucky Equine Research recommends 500mg beta carotene (equivalent to 30,000 IU vit A activity). 3 medium carrots a day would do it, too. http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20cR.html . Once this year's hay is available (or grass), they won't need the extra supplement.

Patti K