From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of heidi larson
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:30 PM
To: Angie Fura; Smith, Dave
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] How to reduce costs of hauling to rides - carpooling

This has always sounded like a good idea, but never seems
to come to fruition for me - my stepdaughter is my
carpoolee and since we pack her horse and the panels and my
horse (in a 3-horse LQ) there is no room left for another
person.  Rides I go to alone (about 2-3 per year) I have
taken one other person a couple times, but it's tough to
get in and out of other people's driveways with a big rig
sometimes, heck, it's tough to get up my own driveway and
get turned around.  Last thing I need is to get it jammed
in somewhere and not get it back out or to hit something
that doesn't belong to me!  I'm on a team this year and
have mentioned to another rider that maybe we could get
together for a ride or two, and hopefully that works out,
since our horses get along as do we.  It's tough if those
two qualifications don't quite stack up though.  And then,
if a carpooler's horse gets hurt in my trailer - who is
responsible?  Auto accident? (heaven forbid) and his/her
horse sustains injuries, what then?  All valid questions in
our sue-happy existence.  I also generally get to rides on
Thursday and am in no hurry on Sunday to get moving. If I'm
in charge of the driving, do I change my schedule to
accomodate someone else that is relying on me for the ride?
I have also mentioned no dogs in the LQ and that will
likely put me low on the list for fuel sharers!  I'm not a
confrontational type person and it's really tough for me to
state how I want things to be, but I'm getting better as I
get older!

heidi

--- Angie Fura <tracetribute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dave - I'm very interested in hearing ideas on ways to
save money (and how I can reduce my carbon emissions)
getting to rides.   A while ago, a list was published on
RC about how car maintenance can have an effect on gas
mileage.  I think that's worth recirculating.  I'll see
if I can find it.

The only other idea I can come up with is carpooling.
I'm doing that this weekend at Biltmore.   Sharing a ride
is a great way to ease the burden on the pocketbook and
keep one rig off the road (less carbon emmitted).

I wish I had more opportunities to car pool to rides.
Seems like not very many people are interested in that
anymore.

Angie Fura
Trace Tribute 25/55
www.tracetribute.com