[RC] Horse trial period/Black Hills ride - Sharon Hahn

I don't know if going to a ride is any worse than taking a horse on trial without going to a ride - either way you have no control over how the horse is used.  Is there someone you trust that will be at the ride that could kind of look after them for you?

My best advice would be to have a contract signed and all other details ironed out (vet check, deposit) BEFORE they take the horse on trial.  It looks like you haven't even agreed to a price yet.  Why send your horse out on trial if the girl is going to come back and offer $500 and you have no deal?  I would ask for full price paid and contract signed, with the provision that they could bring the horse back within X days in satisfactory condition for a full refund (or refund minus X dollars) if the horse didn't work out.  That way you ensure the buyer is serious, protect yourself against horse theivery, injury, etc., and there are no loose ends to tie off provided everybody is happy.

Marlene wrote:

I have a mare for sale that is experienced at endurance and a teenager is interested in buying her who wants to do endurance as well.  This mare could be very good for her because she takes care of herself very well and is fun and safe to ride.  I have her for sale for $3500 but the girl has indicated that she will probably offer less if they decide to buy her.  She has also been advised to do a trial period, which I have no problem with because I want the horse to be happy (she?s been one of my favorites and I wouldn?t sell her if I didn?t have so many horses).

But they want to take the horse to an endurance ride during the trial period and I?m just not sure how comfortable I am with that. ...