[RC] Trial Period - k s swigart

Marlene Moss said:

But they want to take the horse to an endurance
ride during the trial period and I'm just not sure
how comfortable I am with that.  I could put in
the trial contract that the horse has to come back
as she left or else they have to pay (some, all?)
but I would be annoyed to get a horse back that
I couldn't sell or keep riding because of an injury
even if it wasn't the riders fault.

Many people that I know who sell horses "on trial" no matter what the
person who is trying out the horse wants to do during that trial
(although I consider it eminently reasonable that if you are selling the
horse as an endurance horse, that doing an endurance ride be part of
that trial), have as part of the trial agreement something that says, in
essence, "You break it, you bought it."

And if you are really concerned you can have a third party (like a vet)
attest to the "condition" of the horse when it changes hands and have
agreed up front under what conditions the horse is considered broken and
cannot be "returned."

Unless you care enough about the horse to take it back no matter what
condition it is in....which many people also are willing to do.

There are plenty of people who are willing to take back a horse that its
new owner/s find unsuitable because they don't want the horse in a
circumstance for which it is unsuitable and they don't want the new
owners to have no choice but to "get rid of" the horse to somebody else.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)