Re: [RC] Trail Closures a little long but imo important to think about - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: <Sheila_Larsen@xxxxxxx>

Unfortunately, although horses may be the most natural users of all, I am
increasingly concerned about the lack of concern may equestrians have with
regard to trail usage............... Many people may look at that see
grassland and go what sensitive resources......... I don't see any.  Well
what they may not be seeing are rare and sensitive
plant populations that can't withstand the trampling of hooves or the
erosion that may be caused by the now bare soils.   Equestrians are not
going to make themselves welcome if we partake in this behavior.

 .................>
I guess I just want people to seriously consider the consequences of their
actions when they create social trails by riding/hiking/biking off trail
and perhaps help educate those that might do so on why they shouldn't. >
Man I am scared to hit the send button LOLOL

Sheila

Sheila, really hard to trim your post since all of it was relevent and
important; based both on science and common sense; I support what you said
100%. Sensitive resources deserve to be protected; and if the public is
uncaring; and unsensitive, then the trails need seasonal closures, or even
permanent ones in some cases.

As a member of a small group maintaining and trying to develop more trails
in our area, and protect sensiitve areas and the original, badly planned and
somewhat fragile trails....we have seen that riders totally ignore both
common sense by riding and tearing up trails in the muddy season; make their
own trails when trees are down ( by riding up and down very steep
banks)...to downright ignoring closure signs planted right in the middle of
trail junctions; over and over....

Some trails we initially flagged we moved, due to realization of fragile and
mushy areas...we will see what the public does.....

From both an avid rider viewpoint, and I hope environmentalist; I value and
enjoy riding into natural  areas to enjoy the wildlife and native plants;
if those are destroyed by inconsiderate users; or invasive exotic plant
species...you might as well be riding in a groomed park on graveled hard
paths; which does not interest me one bit.

What I don't understand about the endurance riders who are anti-environment
or just don't care about damage inflicted, or natural
ecosystems........well, they might as well ride 100 miles on a dirt frontage
road along a freeway.....or go around a racetrack a million times....and
they spoil the sport for everyone else.
Karen