Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 11:08 AM
Subject: [RC] re: trail closures

I know I've said this many times and people chose to ignore it, but I am going to say it one more time.

There are people out there, lots of them, who think horses are extremely damaging to trail and hate sharing trails with them.  There are people who have a stated goal of getting all horses off USFS and wilderness trails.  You can hide from it all you want and it will still be true.  So, when horse folks are done bashing all other multiple users and getting them thrown off trails, there will be no one left to fight for horse folks' rights to use public trails.  In fact, they will be glad to see us get our just due.  Arrogance about our use of public trails does not serve us well.  You may personally hate hunters, four wheelers, motorcyclists and bicyclists, but I've attended meetings where they defended the rights of all users.  I also know several rides that would not exist if it were not for the support of motorcycle riders.  Now, stop and think of the most obnoxious horse owners/riders you know and how embarrassed you are by their behavior.  Then, realize that all other user groups have those folks, too.  They are not representative of all users.

Lunch is about over, so I'm going to go back to torturing 11 year old boys who should be out in the woods on such a beautiful day and are stuck in school :)

Cindy Collins