[RC] Cattle and flowers - Sheila_Larsen

Barbara wrote:
"An interesting study by a former university student in our county showed
that grazed land is plentiful in wildflowers.  This student was rabidly
anti-grazing when he started at the university.  Over the years he did lots

of studies and discovered that on the university property, once a cattle
ranch, now just left alone, wildflowers were disappearing.  He was one of
the students who had pushed for eliminating grazing on the university
fields.  Our pasture, continuously grazed for probably 200 years, has
abundant wildflowers.  On a neighboring pasture, not so consistently grazed

and managed, often left to its natural devices, wildflowers were overtaken
by brush.

I know that grazing, if done prudently, is beneficial to grasses and
wildflowers.  No rancher, who uses and loves his own land is deliberately
going to destroy it.  That makes no sense at all, since it is his
livelihood
that is at stake, and a destroyed land will not support his cattle, year
after year.  I'm a great believer in the philosophy that a knowledgeable
rancher is the best steward of his land."

You are so correct, many people always want to pull cattle off public lands
because they think they are bad. When you pull the cows off is not very
good for native flowers because they can't compete against the non-native
grasses.  It is my understanding that people wanted the cattle pulled off
of Olmsted/Knickerbocker so they were and now it is primarily star thistle,
makes good honey, but not much else except I understand that at the early
stages it makes a good high protein forage for some animals..  The problem
is that I see many places where the grassland  is just converted to a feed
lot and I just don't understand it.  These are very large tracts of land
too.  Sad.

The bay area "corduroy hills" are primarily caused by cattle not sheep as
sheep are not the primary grazers in those areas they are grazed more on
the San Joaquin valley side.  I wonder if they do stop erosion because if
it wasn't grazed the grass I would think would prevent erosion, but then we
do get into the issues above by the lack of grazing.   The slippage stuff
just happens.  I also wonder if the corduroy hills are also a product of
the heavy clay soil type?

To make this endurance related:  getting that heavy clay out of your horses
feet is very difficult and don't let it dry in your horses feet.

A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of
the kind that is spoiled by words.  ~Beryl Markham