Home Current News News Archive Shop/Advertise Ridecamp Classified Events Learn/AERC
Endurance.Net Home Ridecamp Archives
[Archives Index]   [Date Index]   [Thread Index]   [Author Index]   [Subject Index]

[RC] gn license requirement--Kathie - Dawn Simas

WITH A VEHICLE WEIGHTING AT LEAST 4,000LBS., you may tow a: (this is still under Basic Class C mind you)

-trailer coach or 5th wheel (and apparently all GN fall into this) travel trailer under 10,000lbs. GVWR when towing is not for compensation.

-5th wheel travel trailer (again GN included) EXCEEDING 10,000LBS. but UNDER 15,000lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation and with endorsement.>>
Hi Kathie,
Heck, I hate to rain on your parade, but a "5th wheel" is not a GN.  It's a different style hitch that big rigs and RV's have.  Unfortunately, horse trailers rarely use 5th wheels and are GN's.  That's why this does not apply.  5th wheel hitches are safer than GN hitches, that's why big rigs use them. 
As you found out DMV doesn't know as well as those of us that are worried about getting pulled over.  If you want to find the definitive answer, contact CHP, they are the ones that are versed on the codes and the ones that you would deal with on the side of the road.  DMV gives you the license, CHP enforces it.  If you go to the Newcastle CHP or call them, ask to speak to a Commercial Officer (they are the ones that know the license requirements the best, do safety checks on big rigs, and run the truck scales), they will be pleased that you are taking an interest in abiding by the law and usually happy to speak with you.
As a matter of fact, they do guest lectures at equestrian groups for free to educate us on all this.  I saw one at Loomis Basin Horsemen's meeting.  Officer was very nice and happy to do that rather than give out tickets.  If you are the member of a riding group, invite them as a speaker.  :)