Re: [RC] [RC] 2 more GN questions/sorry - Truman Prevatt

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice, practice.

A GN is actually a lot easier to back than a BP. The GN is the same way. With a BP there is an extra lever involved - the one (about 4 feet ) from the axle to the hitch (pivot point) point. With a GN the the pivot point is on the axle. Ever see a truck driver put a semi trailer in a tight spot. He can do it because the trailer is mounted over his back axle. You can turn the truck a lot sharper - even perpendicular to the trailer. Don't try doing that with a BP. Some GN's are 8 feet wide that causes some problems because of visibility. If the mirrors on your trailer are not extendable -many newer trucks have mirrors that you can extend - then you might want to invest in a set of mirrors you can attached to your to get them out further.

If general if the distance between the front of your truck to the end of the trailer is the same for a GN and a BP the GN will be a lot easier to back than the BP. Find a fairly empty parking lot some where and take someone with you and practice till you get the hang. In tight spots you might need an extra eyes to help you.

The one real difference is you need to accommodate is the GN follows your real axle not your rear bumper. On a BN that extra lever will keep the trailer from turning as fast when you are going forward. Many a person with a new GN has scraped a gas pump, gate, etc. when the first start driving it because of this. Just watch the side of your trailer when you are turning (going forward) around something.

Once you get the feel of backing a GN you'll be unstoppable!

Truman

Debbie Kirchner wrote:
I know there are some tricks for backing GN's just like with a bumper
Pull, however, I don't know what they are, I do know that it takes a
lot longer space to back a GN, then it does a BP... so you have to
think about it sooner, turn sooner, then you can get it turned...
cause when we had one, and I helped, man, I had to really let my Hubby
know a long time before I wanted it turned... it took me a while to
learn that...

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics