[RC] dropping stirrups/?'s for trainers - desertrydr1

She is most loving, sweet mare now..but it took awhile to earn her trust, and you still can't drop your stirrups while astride.

Ranelle Rubin
R.Rubin Consulting

Had to laugh at the comment about not dropping stirrups.  i can't drop mine on my Anglo-Arab mare ffor a totally different reason.  SHE STOPS!  She thinks I'm going to get off, so she obligingly stops.  Very handy if I start to fall off.  BTW she is totally home trained, except for the dressage lessons I take on her.

As far as selecting a trainer, the most important think is a trainer who shares your own personal philosophy.  If you are a natural horsemanship type, you don't want someone who uses other methods, as they won't make sense to your horse AT FIRST.  Not that big a deal to the horse, the horse will eventually figure it out, but it's just anotherobstacle that will have to be overcome in the training process.  I had the opposite issue, I used a NH trainer to train my mule, and don't use ALL those methods, although I'm usiong them more every day.  The mule occasionally looks at me like I'm nuts, "what the heck are you asking for?" she says.  jeri