[RC] Steel or Aluminum shoes? - Mike Lewis

I *finally* got ahold of a farrier today (who has shod endurance horses for a friend), and he is coming out to put shoes on my mare this afternoon.

Was wondering... which shoes are better for endurance--steel or aluminum?  Seems I recall some discussion awhile back about aluminum not being the cat's meow because it transfers more force to the hoof.  Is there any particular brand or style of shoe I should ask to have put on my horse?

Although I've had horses for several years throughout my life I've never really paid attention to shoeing until recently, since I'm trying to move up from LD and really want to help my horse stay sound on longer rides and protect her long-term ability to compete.  I've always taken "any old shoe" and never really paid much attention to what "best practices" are in the endurance world.  Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Mike Lewis
Admin, www.usendurance.net