[RC] Boldness in Horses - Tx Trigger

I have a horse who is very bold.  But, he was difficult to break, as he was weird and spooky about things on the ground. Also took him awhile to not panic if he saw me move an arm while on him, out of the corner of his eye.   His very first time on the trails I took him alone. He acted like he had been on the trail many times.  His 30th time I was on his back, we did a 1 day, 15 mile NATRC ride, and rode alone most of the day.  He never has needed another horse along, but does go well with others. He loves to lead the pack, and is very forward,  BUT, he is at times one of the most difficult horses I have ever ridden. He will spook at odd things still, like sticks in the trail, or even a water bottle someone has dropped on the trail. I have decided after riding him now for 3.5 years, that it is maybe a slight vision issue.

When we did Tevis in 2005, and he never spooked once, and gave me a ride that I will never forget. His boldness and mental strength is what helped him finish.  So yes, I do believe many are just born bold, but can still have "issues". He never has to have another horse lead the way past something spooky, but has took the lead when others were reluctant. But he has also given me some of the worst spooks I have ever dealt with.  But even with the spooks, he is never reluctant or hesitant to move out down the trail, in the lead, or alone.  The most common spook is when we are moving along at a good pace, and he sees something in the trail, slams on the brakes, puts nose down to take a better look, then about the time I have regained me seat from being slammed into the pommel, he decides it is fine, and takes off again, usually slamming my butt back down in the saddle. Amusing for friends to watch, and maybe even amusing to the horse. Me, not so much.  :-)

Yes, they can be born bold, but still spook. And maybe some do become bold with miles.

Jonni in TX