[RC] Leatherwood Ride - Alicia

As my friend Claire summers and I told everyone at the barn when we returned today we love Leatherwood” It is our favorite ride!  The trails were perfect this year, and the way the trail was done it made it seem easier this year.  It still is a difficult ride but very “do able” for those who have conditioned horses.  Abbie the ride manager out did herself as usual with great food, wonderful marked trails, more water than I have ever seen on a trail, alfalfa hay on the trail, great vets,  and wonderful prizes!

My trip up there started a little scary, when we were 20 minutes from Leatherwood on the curvy road, when my truck just died in the middle of a curve.  My dear friend Amanda Johnston came to rescue us and hauled my horse trailer onto to camp and helped Claire take care of our horses. Meanwhile myself and two nice people from leatherwood who were passing by stopped and waited with me the 3 hour wait for triple A to tow the truck.  Abbie and the wonderful people at Leatherwood let us drive a leatherwood truck all weekend.  My truck had a bad fuel pump and will hopefully be fixed tomorrow.  Amanda came to my rescue again by loaning us her truck to get our horses  3 hours home today so I can work tomorrow.  Phil Rash also offered me a truck.  I just can’t say enough wonderful things about all the people at Leatherwood and all the wonderful endurance people who also offered us a hand this weekend!

The ride was awesome as always and Claire and I moved along on the first two loops and really kicked it up a notch on the last loop.  We did negative splits on each loop and had a ball with our horses.  We left out on the last loop 10th and ended up 7th and 8th in the 50th.  Mary Vann Johnston won the 50th on Ruth Anne Everett’s horse Pretty Boy and Ruth Anne came in second on Razz.  I am not sure who won the 25 but they had 100% completion rate in the 25 and only 3 were pulled in the 50.  They took out the rocky creek bed for the 50’s and the point to point.  Also we rode the famous bob’s branch trail first which seemed to help the horses.  They had some nice new trails we rode, and the views were just breathtaking on the second loop!

GREAT RIDE!  Try it next year!  Many, many, many thanks to Amanda Johnston, Abbie and the Leatherwood family!

Alicia Mansuetti and Patrolons Star “Sweetie”

PS  I was very happy to be in the saddle at a ride, this was my first ride back since my accident at Tevis!  Thanks also to my great physical therapist; I could not have done this without him, my husband and of course God!