From an anatomic view I thought about the use of different muscles--which is what I think contributes to the body's decision to position the leg--and whether that would be less efficient since more muscles are used... I don't think that's a valid way to answer your question. Moving the leg out would require the use of the abductors more than letting the leg simply move forward on a straight line. But this could be accomplished with using the lateral quad more and the medial less in protraction. On the retraction end it would mean that the semi-tendinosus and biceps femoris, two hamstrings would be used more.
I don't know! Great question.
thanks
jim
--
Jim Pascucci
Advanced Rolfer
www.JimtheRolfer.com
www.equinesi.com
Author of Equine Structural Integration: Myofascial Release Manual
From: "Dot Wiggins" <dotwgns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]    Trot question for the engineers

Horses have different  ways of moving at the big trot.   Some spread their
hind legs to the outside and may even pass the fronts during the stride.
Some stride directly in line with the front leg flight path. From a
> a "power" point, which do you feel is more efficient?    Pushing off
with the hinds directly in line with forward motion, or pushing off from a
line outside the body mass?
Which is apt to use the "top line" muscle/bone structure with the least
effort?
I've watched a lot of horses, and ridden a few, with both actions and have
some feelings about it.  Just wondering what othe rs thin k when selecting a
horse for endurance..