[RC] Kyle's Shoe Questions - sherman

Alissa,

Are bare hooves not allowed in the dressage ring? I’m having really good luck with the EasyBoot Epics, so much so that my daughter’s horse  that I was planning on having shod for the season may end up being another permanently barefoot horse for us. Shadow has only had her shoes off since the fall, but her frog is still high, no ground contact, I’m ASSuming from being shod all of her riding life (she’s 18 or 19 now) so I’m hesitant to put shoes back on her for the few 50s she’ll be doing this year. My horse, Sonny, hates the nail going in his hoof, so he’s only had one set of shoes ever, and he’s 9 yrs old. It was a challenge learning to vetrap and avoid rubs, but I think I’ve got it down now, and he’s done a few 20 mile and a 25 mile conditioning ride recently with no rubs. A cable broke on the 25 mile ride 7 miles from the end, and we galloped & trotted all the way in without it coming off.

Kathy

Hey Kyle,

Wasn't it you who just a couple months ago was asking about boots, and gave us a good report of how well your boots worked in the mud?  What changed?  Why the switch back to shoes?  I am curious, as I am trying to go barefoot with my little TB horse, and want to know what conditions make a rider think "ya know what, I can't do this boot thing any more - let me try shoes again."  I am hoping I don't get to that point, but in the heat of the summer, showing in dressage shows (where boots are not allowed)...  it might come down to having to shoe again.  : (

Alissa