From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
rides2far@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:18 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Biltmore Coverage, please read

OK guys, looks like I'll be doing a webcast from Biltmore
again this year and I"m trying to think of ways to make it
more interesting and educational for all. I would like to
collect bios of *every* competitor in the 100 mile division.
I'm trying to come up with what would be interesting bits of
information for those at  home to know about the competitors.
I hope to get a list of the entries and I think it could be
fun to make some hypothetical bets on who will win. :-)  I
mean, who would care about the winner of the Kentucky Derby
if it weren't for all the pre-race info that helps us to
choose who *our* favorite is.  I would like to feature some
of the potential front runners, since those are the main ones
we'll be feeding the play by play back to you on...but I
would also like to feature the first timers and the people
who are just always out there completing the miles...someone
you guys can relate to and hopefully we can let you know if
they're still in it.

Here's a little example of the sort of story I feel could
make this race more interesting to those at home:

John Crandall will be riding a buckskin horse name "Rammit".
This is a horse he raised that is 1/2 Arab, 1/2 Moyle. John
excelled in the past with a crossbred named "Hybrid Vigor"
that some of you may remember.  I believe John told us he
owned the only Moyle stallion that the developer of the breed
had ever let leave his place. Anyway, how did Rammit get his
name?  Well, one day John's herd of horses got out of the
pasture and ended up on the highway. When he came home that
evening a man turned into his driveway and said, "I need your
insurance information, your horse hit my truck". John said,
"Which horse?" and the guy said, 'That yellow one"
(they were back in the field by then). John checked the
buckskin and he was a little stiff in one shoulder and had a
little scratch but was otherwise fine.

The man said there was one horse running towards him on the
right, one on the left and he hit the one in the middle and
his Dodge truck was totaled. Later, John drove down to the
town to see the truck and he said there was a horse shaped
indentation in the front, the motor was knocked up into the
cab and there was an indentation in the front windshield
shaped like the horse's nose. There was one tiny bolt
explosed with the horse's yellow hair on it that he figured
had made that scratch. The man said the buckskin had hit him
head on, flipped over the top of the truck, jumped up and ran
off.  As John was driving home he was thinking he hadn't
really come up with a good name for this 4 year old yet and
about that time he saw a Dodge truck in front of him with a
decal on the back window that said, 'If you can't Dodge it, Rammit".

So...what better horse for a tough trail than one that can
Ram a pickup, total it and only come out with a scratch? :-))

So, storeis like that would be great *before* the ride. We
can post them on Endurance.net and maybe if a horse shows up
in front you've never heard of you can read up on him or her.
 However, here's the catch. I'll be riding, so don't expect
constant lists of placement during the ride.
You may get a good idea of trail conditions, and up to date
weather reports, but not a steady stream of "who is where" on
the trail.
Hopefully we can get you top 10 though.

I have come up with a list of questions simply for
*suggested* info the rider might want to give us. If you do
not want to answer *any* of these questions, and would rather
tell a story, no problem. If you want to ignore some and fill
in info you'd like us to have that would be interesting or
informative, like you've had a knee replacement, or your
horse survived colic surgery, or you're a woman who used to
be a man, OK, go for it.

This is all experimental, but it seemed like a good
opportunity to ask people who are actually *doing the
distance* what they're doing...maybe some will take time to
answer.  If you have a question you'd like added, speak now!

Feel free to send your bios directly to me at rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Name:
Weight Division:
Home:
Background info:
How many 100's have you done?
Total Mileage:
Your background with horses.
Profession:

Horse's name:
Owner:
Age:
Breed:
Bloodlines if you're in to that:
Sex:
Height
Weight
Type shoes: pads? clips? How old will the shoes be on the ride day?
Shoe or easyboot size:
Miles
Years competing:
Type of saddle:
Type Pad
Bridle/bit/hackamore?
Crupper or breastcollar?
Type girth:
Will you be riding with a heart monitor?
Background info: What is this horse like? Too
competitive...takes care of himself, etc.

Goal for the ride. Possible top 10?  First completion?
Possible time frame?  Have you completed this course before?

If you want, explain your electrolyting proceedure...brand, frequency.
What do you feed?
What will you be feeding at the vet check?