[RC] Biltmore Coverage, please read - rides2far

OK guys, looks like I'll be doing a webcast from Biltmore again this year
and I"m trying to think of ways to make it more interesting and
educational for all. I would like to collect bios of *every* competitor
in the 100 mile division. I'm trying to come up with what would be
interesting bits of information for those at  home to know about the
competitors. I hope to get a list of the entries and I think it could be
fun to make some hypothetical bets on who will win. :-)  I mean, who
would care about the winner of the Kentucky Derby if it weren't for all
the pre-race info that helps us to choose who *our* favorite is.  I would
like to feature some of the potential front runners, since those are the
main ones we'll be feeding the play by play back to you on...but I would
also like to feature the first timers and the people who are just always
out there completing the miles...someone you guys can relate to and
hopefully we can let you know if they're still in it.

Here's a little example of the sort of story I feel could make this race
more interesting to those at home:

John Crandall will be riding a buckskin horse name "Rammit". This is a
horse he raised that is 1/2 Arab, 1/2 Moyle. John excelled in the past
with a crossbred named "Hybrid Vigor" that some of you may remember.  I
believe John told us he owned the only Moyle stallion that the developer
of the breed had ever let leave his place. Anyway, how did Rammit get his
name?  Well, one day John's herd of horses got out of the pasture and
ended up on the highway. When he came home that evening a man turned into
his driveway and said, "I need your insurance information, your horse hit
my truck". John said, "Which horse?" and the guy said, 'That yellow one"
(they were back in the field by then). John checked the buckskin and he
was a little stiff in one shoulder and had a little scratch but was
otherwise fine.

The man said there was one horse running towards him on the right, one on
the left and he hit the one in the middle and his Dodge truck was
totaled. Later, John drove down to the town to see the truck and he said
there was a horse shaped indentation in the front, the motor was knocked
up into the cab and there was an indentation in the front windshield
shaped like the horse's nose. There was one tiny bolt explosed with the
horse's yellow hair on it that he figured had made that scratch. The man
said the buckskin had hit him head on, flipped over the top of the truck,
jumped up and ran off.  As John was driving home he was thinking he
hadn't really come up with a good name for this 4 year old yet and about
that time he saw a Dodge truck in front of him with a decal on the back
window that said, 'If you can't Dodge it, Rammit".

So...what better horse for a tough trail than one that can Ram a pickup,
total it and only come out with a scratch? :-))

So, storeis like that would be great *before* the ride. We can post them
on Endurance.net and maybe if a horse shows up in front you've never
heard of you can read up on him or her.  However, here's the catch. I'll
be riding, so don't expect constant lists of placement during the ride.
You may get a good idea of trail conditions, and up to date weather
reports, but not a steady stream of "who is where" on the trail.
Hopefully we can get you top 10 though.

I have come up with a list of questions simply for *suggested* info the
rider might want to give us. If you do not want to answer *any* of these
questions, and would rather tell a story, no problem. If you want to
ignore some and fill in info you'd like us to have that would be
interesting or informative, like you've had a knee replacement, or your
horse survived colic surgery, or you're a woman who used to be a man, OK,
go for it.

This is all experimental, but it seemed like a good opportunity to ask
people who are actually *doing the distance* what they're doing...maybe
some will take time to answer.  If you have a question you'd like added,
speak now!

Feel free to send your bios directly to me at rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Name:
Weight Division:
Home:
Background info:
How many 100's have you done?
Total Mileage:
Your background with horses.
Profession:

Horse's name:
Owner:
Age:
Breed:
Bloodlines if you're in to that:
Sex:
Height
Weight
Type shoes: pads? clips? How old will the shoes be on the ride day?
Shoe or easyboot size:
Miles
Years competing:
Type of saddle:
Type Pad
Bridle/bit/hackamore?
Crupper or breastcollar?
Type girth:
Will you be riding with a heart monitor?
Background info: What is this horse like? Too competitive...takes care of
himself, etc.

Goal for the ride. Possible top 10?  First completion?  Possible time
frame?  Have you completed this course before?

If you want, explain your electrolyting proceedure...brand, frequency.
What do you feed?
What will you be feeding at the vet check?