[RC] Shin splints - Nikki McCormack

Saw Angie's post about Trace Tribute and got to thinking about my first 50 weekend before last.  At about 24 miles I got a horrid shin splint in my right leg, but I could not stop.  It was my first 50 after all.  Took some advil at the vet check (all we had) and resisted the strong temptation to pull myself.  At one point I thought my leg was splitting in two, but the horses were doing so good and so was my husband.  It is about endurance, right?  :-)  Anyway, it could all be due to the fact that I broke my ankle on that leg last year and maybe it just is not strong enough yet, or that I had a sciatica issue in that hip last year, or it could be any number of other issues.  Anyone who has had such issues have any ideas on what might cause it or what can be done to deal with it when it does happen?

Thanks

Nikki
AERC M33800 / PNER 3782 / NSS 44146