Re: [RC] Back to the Basics: Proper posting technique - Sharon Levasseur

What helps me is remembering two things:

1. The unfolding movement that creates "the post" should come from your hip
joint.  The fact that your knee bend changes is strictly a side effect.  The
movement must come from your hips.  Think dirty here, it helps.  >vbg<  Your
feet should feel like they're a little bit behind you, and you're pushing
backwards against the stirrups.  (They won't actually be behind you, but they
will feel that way when you're in the up position.)

2. As your hips come forward, squeeze your butt cheeks together.  That will
further encourage your hips to open.

Practice this on the ground for a while (in the privacy of your own home, LOL).
If you can do it standing up, then when you start doing it in the saddle you
will be balanced and centered.  If you can't do it standing up, you're doing it
wrong.

-Sharon L. in Maine

Quoting Mike Lewis <mikelewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

One of the things that came out of the APEX clinic last week during my
equitation evaluation was that I'm doing the typical male style of posting
(up and down, not front-to-back.)

Big surprise there... not.  After several years on a bouncy old gelding with
a swayed back, I got into the habit of not paying attention to proper form.

What advice can folks provide to help develop the front-to-back posting
technique?  I find it difficult to maintain once I start to get tired or when
my mare really opens up her trot.  If she is decelerating or going downhill,
all bets for even attempting a better posting technique must be abandoned...

Appreciate any help,

Mike Lewis
Admin, www.usendurance.net