[RC] New[ish] question about alfalfa & internal Ca production - Kristen A Fisher

OK, so I have read and digested [pun intended] Susan G's article on alfalfa, and understand that routine feeding of alfalfa can cause a horse's system to reduce its internal Ca mobilization, so that during heavy exercise, the body may not be sufficiently able to produce internal Ca to meet its needs.

Dane Frazier alluded at the Eagle Ranch ride that feeding ANY alfalfa can have the same effect. I was under the impression that feeding alfalfa as a routine forage was not a good idea but feeding it at rides was OK.

I would appreciate any discussion on this as it really has me stumped.

Kristen